- 1 package of lean bacon (and by "lean" I just mean "not very fatty" bacon since the fatty parts get squishy in the crock pot and that's not what you want.)
- 2 chopped medium onions
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb shrimp (It can be raw or cooked since the crock pot will cook it through. If you use cooked shrimp, they may shrink.)
- 1 bag of frozen okra, thawed and chopped
- 1 lb of the sausage of your choice, pre-cooked
- Optional: Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning
- Optional: 1 lb of crab meat
|This bacon is entirely too fatty, just fyi.|
Once that's done, pour off the excess grease leaving only a small amount in the skillet. Saute your onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add those to the crock pot along with your broth, the tomatoes with their juice, and the Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2.
Then add your okra, shrimp, and sausage and cook for another hour on low or a half-hour on high.
Serve on a bed of rice!
This gumbo is the perfect way to end a chilly fall day, and it's simple too, which is what I like about it.